Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Compass Cove or Marriott Resort at Grand Dunes ?

I took advantange of a great airline fare and booked my husband and myself for 4 nights in Myrtle Beach , May 5-9,2007. I didn%26#39;t realize how difficult it was going to be to choose lodging ! While there are many choices, the reviews indicate many hotels are dated , almost rundown. I thought Marriott at Grand Dunes, while more expensive, seemed like a safe choice, but my husband has been told that we will probably find this is too far from the action.



Since Compasscove seems to have finished a recent renovation, I%26#39;m leaning towards it, any opinions or suggestions about these or any comparable hotels for a couple traveling without children would be appreciated. I%26#39;ve never been to Myrtle Beach before and want to make the most of our long week-end !



Dashesgirl



Salem , Ma





Compass Cove or Marriott Resort at Grand Dunes ?


IMO...I would go with the Mariott...I really prefer the beaches at the north end of MB, and really, not any farther away from ';the action'; than Compass Cove, which is located more to the south end of the strip. Keep in mind too, even tho Compass Cove has completed their renovations...there are a number of new construction sites at that end of the beach.





:)



Compass Cove or Marriott Resort at Grand Dunes ?


If you won%26#39;t have kids, the Marriott would be better. Compass Cove is one of the better ';kid friendly'; hotels.





Marriott is a little secluded but not far from where you want to go. It%26#39;s perfect for couples I believe.



Might I suggest the:





-Breakers Paradise Towers. It%26#39;s a real nice hotel. Not too kid friendly and it%26#39;s very clean nice rooms. Jacuzzis in some rooms (bathrooms) restaurants right there a few steps away. Broadway at the Beach is a few minutes away (3 min drive) (15 minute walk w/out kids) lots or restaurants, bars, etc. Love this area.




Without a doubt...The Marriott...a GORGEOUS property and really not that far from all the attractions. Enjoy!




Grande Dunes!




Ditto. Grande Dunes. Magnificent!




The Marriot is a great choice and Southwind and Sea Island are also newer properties and may be a bit less costly and a little better location.





When you talk of reviews stating that hotels are run-down,this is a misconception in many instances.A great many condo%26#39;s are privately owned and where as one condo may be fixed up beautiful the one right next door may be a disaster.I stay at Forest Dunes in a gorgeous unit owned by a friend and know for a fact some units near his are run-down.My advice is ask if the hotel has ratings(A-B -C) and insist on renting an A unit only.Its a sore issue with my friend that A units rent for the same rate as C units and I can see his point.





Tony





My choice in your case would be Sea Island or Forest Dunes,in an A-rated unit 6th floor or higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment