Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Behavior of visitors...

First, let me say that this is not a post meant to be rude.. really it isn%26#39;t! But, its been a longggggg summer here and many of us who live here are clueless about some behaviors we have seen.





I think the worst problem is the general attitude of visitors. I have witnessed such rude behavior to store clerks, locals on the beach at 7 a.m. with dogs, to surf fisherman, that is just unreal. I have seen many throw their garbage all over the beaches in Surfside and in Georgetown , destroy the protected dunes and cannot imagine why.. I dont think anyone would be jumping for joy if we came to their hometownss and did this. Those of us who live here and pay taxes 52 weeks a year really seem to be treated as the interlopers or, even worse, ignorant southerners. I happen to be from the north, have been here 11 years and probably have more education than some I meet. The visitors I have seen behaving badly seem to see the signs ';Welcome to South Carolina'; and lose all sense of manners and decent behavior. I*%26#39;ve found that certain states have the most rude tourists....





Any area that has beach and is warm 9 months a year will naturally become busier and busier. My fear, however, is that the bad behaviors will continue and trouble will be right behind it. I met a woman just yesterday with two small dogs, playing on the beach in Georgetown, who is moving out of SC with her family because of the above reasons. So, its not just my take on things.





My question, I guess, is WHY people come here, on vacation, and behave the way they do? I am pretty sure if the situation was reversed, we%26#39;d be treated less than kindly...







Behavior of visitors...


Unfortunately, I think this happens at lots of beach communities. Look at what happens in Florida at spring break. It seems that even some ';grown-ups'; never recover from the party-hearty behavior of their youth.





MB is beautiful, and the community offers countless opportunities for visitors to have a great time wihtout bad behavior. It is sad to think that the area could be spoiled for locals and visitors alike by the disrespectful actions of the group you describe.





I hope that you will have a pleasant ';off'; season, and that those who visit MB in the future will value the opportunity they have to enjoy South Carolina%26#39;s glorious beaches.



Behavior of visitors...




Well I agree, it does happen in beach resorts, not just here. I think what concerns me most is not only my ';displeasure'; at the behaviors, but others here also, and I even had one local man, born and raised, predict violence... I mean, you REALLY cannot imagine some of the behaviors here..





My request is for those visiting Surfside or Georgetown, think before you get uppity with locals!! :) We%26#39;re not likely to ignore bad behavior much longer.




The situation must be terrible. Have you noticed a change over past years? Are local authorities addressing the situation?




I have noticed a HUGE change in just the last 2 years. I know many who depend on tourists for income, i.e., tend bar, wait tables, and they all voice the same as I, the tourists have become almost unbearable. One friend, a local bartender, is the most calm person I know. This summer did it for her, with the demanding behavior.





There really isnt much that law enforcement can do. No laws are being broken. The fireworks on the beach got SO bad that they now have an ordinanc about where on the beach they can be set off. That is really a minor issue in the scheme of things.





Here is an example. I have 2 dogs, golden retrievers, one is just 6 months old. At 530 a.m. I was walking in Garden City (yes, in Horry County) and they were not leashed. It was 530..!! I carry bags with me for any gifts they leave... A man came out of Horizons East (he was from Ohio, OSU shirt on) with his two dogs... My young one headed over to see them and he literally screamed at me to get him away. His dogs looked uninterested in it all, so it wasnt they were antisocial. I started walking toward him, to get my killer puppy and he yelled at me ';could you possibly walk any damn slower.'; I told him since I had just had knee surgery, I certainly could and did just that... I got called names. Now, I realize that dogs are to be leashed between 9 a.m. and 5 pm on Horry County beaches, and really at all times, regardless of month, but it was 5:30 and frankly I found his aggressive, vile behavior a little over the top. If he has nothing else in life to worry about than my puppy runnin freely on a beach at 5:30 a.m., then God bless him....





I say no more.. :X




Dr. Phill says you teach people how to treat you mabe if we all took a stand against bad behavior people would be more responable with their behavior.Bad behavior no service in area stores or rest, no return rentals.Bad behaivor on the beachs such as littering fines increased and given out to vistors.Not just the beach area but all areas of vistors see should be this way for the sake of the people who live in the areas they visit.Just my thoughts on the subject.




I totally agree with your ideas... I have decided that this next summer if I see visitors tossing their leftovers and trash in the dunes, I call the SC Wildlife/Beach protection.. they take dune destruction seriously and if the renters can be caught before they leave, they get fined...





Those of us who live here can take a stand, stand up for ourselves and our beaches and homes. The #1 problem is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, in the tourism business, including local governments, is too likely to make it known we dont care for these behaviors.. MB caters to tourists, its how they make $, and in SC $ talks more than anything... So, unless its a legal issue, like speeding, or dumping on the dunes or beaches, its really up to those of us who live here 52 weeks a year to stand up against those who are here 1 week




I can understand what you are saying about the money issue but the people who run these offices (if they are elected) can be removed and untill people stand together the behaviors will only get worse.Some times it is a choice money or family values. In our community we stood up and said no more and we were afraid we would loose money too but what we found out was once the bad behavior people left because of new rules and fines, we made even more money with familys who replaced them.Familys tend to spend more money anyway (kids go through some money at gamming centers and stores). We wish you the best and understand your problems hopefully everyone will come together when it get to bad.


  • makeup companies
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment