Tuesday, April 24, 2012

South of The Border

On our drive to North Myrtle Beach we were contemplating stopping off at South of The Border. Now the directions that I had received from someone we know who annualy vacations in Myrtle Beach have us turning off 95 in North Carolina and this was take us away from South of The Border. My question is....is this place worth the time to stop off for say an hour or so or would you reccommend blowing ot off alltogether?







Thanks for comments in advance!



South of The Border


I personally don%26#39;t like the place. It%26#39;s sort of dirty if you ask me. No better than any other truck stop along 95. There are a few little rinky dink stores and a Mexican restaurant that I have never been to before but I actually heard that the food is pretty decent.





Just keep driving by.





It is just past the North Carolina border in South Carolina. There are signs from the Highway to tell you where to go. It is in Dillon, SC which is the way you can go to get to North Myrtle Beach as Well. Don%26#39;t know exactly, but someone on this site will.



South of The Border


I live in NC about 3 hours from SC line. Do not stop there. It is just a cheezy, dumpy place that sells trinkets, fire works, etc. I stayed there about 7 years ago on the way to Darlington racetrack and everything was a joke. It was dirty and we felt unsafe. There are a few kiddie rides but I would not let my kids on them. They are the same ones my husband rode about 40 years ago. I have pictures to prove it. Don%26#39;t waste your time just drive by as fast as you can.




My friends and I stopped there in last year and absolutely loved it! It is totally cheesy and one of the best ';roadside america'; places we%26#39;ve seen. The stores are pretty lame - a bunch of Pedro stuff. We didn%26#39;t eat there, so I can%26#39;t tell you about the restaurants. But we were on our way to MB and stopped for a break - about 30 minutes to walk thru the stores and get some great road trip pics with the huge gorilla and various Pedro%26#39;s around the area. After seein%26#39; all the cheesy signs for about 50 miles, we couldn%26#39;t not go.




You can%26#39;t possibly ignore all those billboards, and that ';overkill'; I guess renders some people helpless to avoid stopping.





They have never had that effect on me, but enough people must be stopping so that they can keep paying that astronomical advertizing bill.





I have stopped at the much smaller place on 501 (or is it 38?) that has quite a few billboards. The only thing you will not get fleeced on there is gas....it is usually as cheap as you will find anywhere.




All of my year going south to grandma%26#39;s house, I have always saw the signs. To me it was sort of annoying. Didn%26#39;t bother me none. One year we decided to see what the hype about it was and as I thought absolutely nothing. We got some fireworks (live in maryland it is illegal to have them so we went into dc to shoot them) and that%26#39;s about it. The billboards haven%26#39;t changed in over 20-30 years. The signs I have seen all the way north in Northern VA.





To each his own.




Definitely skip it. A waste of time.




like micountrygal said, it is very wonderfully cheesy. As a matter of



fact the USA Today paper voted it one of its Top Ten Cheesy Tourist Attractions last year (or year before) What the heck, if you have a little time, stop and take a look around. We have never stopped ourselves and probably won%26#39;t, but all those signs and then driving thru the place always cracks me up!!




It,s a piece of American History, when the public started traveling by cars. In the 1950';s almost everyone who drove from New York to Miami stopped at SOB, about halfway to Florida. I stop there every year because it reminds me of of a less troubled time.




Since you have asked the question, you probably should see it. Otherwise, your curiosity will be killing you. You will go there once, and you will never go back.





Personally, I think the whole place is ridiculous. At least they no longer slap unwanted bumper stickers on you car!




jet longisland,





We think it is definiately worth the stop. The shear tackiness of it keeps us smiling for weeks after.

No comments:

Post a Comment