Monday, April 16, 2012

Charleston Visit Jan 14-16, 2006

Hi, I have been searching online and through the forums to look for recommendations for hotels in Charleston. We are on a bit of a budget. I would love to stay in Historic Charleston if possible, but do not want to spend more than $150 a night, and preferably as close to $100/night as possible.





From other posts, I have seen that Shem Creek Inn is a good hotel... so that is top of my list right now because of the price, but I%26#39;m still looking as I have my heart set on the historic district.





The perfect recommendation would be a hotel in the historic district that had a jacuzzi in the room (or at least in the hotel) for under $150 a night.





We were supposed to go to the Caribbean for our fourth year anniversary, but we both have too much on our plates right now to go at this time, so we thought we%26#39;d go for a weekend getaway to Charleston (2hrs from us) for now, then plan a bigger trip later on.





Any recommendations would be appreciated!





-Niki



Charleston Visit Jan 14-16, 2006


Staying in the historic district is expensive even in January.





Some places to consider: Many people recommend the Holiday Inn Historic District, although I don%26#39;t know that they have jacuzzis. The Embassy Suites Historic District has suites with jetted tubs, but I think the rate is closer to $200.





Shem Creek Inn seems like a good alternative if you have a car. Driving into Charleston is quick and easy. Public parking is convenient and cheap.



Charleston Visit Jan 14-16, 2006


I would try the Andrew Pickney Inn (http://www.andrewpinckneyinn.com/), it is in the middle of downtown and usually has good winter rates. I booked a room there for an out-of-town colleague a year ago for less than $150.





Enjoy Charleston!




Hi, I have been reading more about Shem Creek Inn (on various websites) and the reviews are mixed. So I am not sure about it... I guess I will do more research. I read about renovations...are those still going on? Are the rooms nice or old?





As for the other Inn that was recommended, the room we would want is not available the dates we are going. :(





Any good restaurants that you could recommend that are under $20 a person? I was looking for restaurant recommendations in the forum but I found mostly expensive ones. :( Jim N Nicks sounded pretty good, but what is the price range?





I just found all the brochures I picked up last time we were in Charleston, so I will be starting on an itinerary. We have a bad habit of going someplace, driving around aimlessly, eating out, and going home. This time I actually want to do stuff! :)




All of the rooms at the Shem Creek Inn have been completely redone. The views from the riverside rooms are beautiful. You are not that far from downtown either~ It would only take you about 5-10 min. driving.





As for reservations~ January is the slowest time of the year for us. I would not make reservations and stop at the Visitors Center when you arrive in Charleston. We make same day reservations and we get really big discounts. I don%26#39;t think that you are going to have to pay anywhere near $150! And there are some options where there is a jacuzzi either in the rooms or in the courtyard.




I read about some places that have jacuzzis in the courtyard and their rooms look awesome, and the rates are reasonable. Are the jacuzzis open though during the month of January??





I%26#39;m a little nervous about leaving finding a room to when we get to Charleston... are the discounts worth waiting for?





In looking over the brochures, I am getting very excited about our trip! So much to do! Except we only have three days... so we%26#39;re going to have to pick and choose... not quite sure what to leave out yet. Everything looks like so much fun!





-Niki




Are there any of the usual touristy things we should just leave out because it will be January and they will be closed/not really that nice/or for whatever other reason? We do live only 2hrs away so we will be back eventually. -Niki




In January, you can probably skip going to the beach. Although gardens will still be green, they will not be as spectacular as at other times of year.





Otherwise, the weather should be cool, but pleasant. Crowds will be lighter than at some other times. Everything will be open. Enjoy!




The Jacuzzi%26#39;s are open year round. And yes, I personally think that you should wait until you arrive in Charleston for a hotel reservation.




I%26#39;m not worried about beaches as both Tybee and Hilton Head are much closer to us (we live in Savannah).





The jacuzzis being open year round is great. Is there any way of getting those discounts before getting to Charleston, or are they only on a last minute basis? (I just like to know where I%26#39;m going to stay before I get there)





Thanks!





-Niki




Oh something else I thought about... is there anything that is only open on the weekends that we should be sure to fit into Sunday? Any restaurants that serve brunches (not too expensive or fancy) that we cannot miss that only do so on the weekend?





I really do appreciate any and all advice given! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment