Monday, April 16, 2012

first trip to the South!

Hello,





I am tentatively planning the first trip to the South (we%26#39;re in NY) for me, my wife, and our infant son in March of %26#39;07. I was thinking of splitting our time (maybe 4 or 5 days total) between Charleston SC and Savannah GA (since they%26#39;re not too far apart and I%26#39;ve always wanted to go to both places), but it%26#39;s hard to get a feel for each city, not ever having been to either. Can someone who has been to both places please advise:





1) which city is bigger? by which I guess I mean, which one has the larger historic district or city center



2) which city is more walkable and pedestrian-friendly?



3) which city is more kid-friendly (if applicable)?



4) which city is more affordable (in terms of accommodations, dining out, and things like parking, etc.)



5) this one is completely subjective: where do you think we should spend more time, and why :)





Many thanks for all your help!





Drew



first trip to the South!


Sorry, I should have done more searching before posting.. I see there%26#39;s a near-identical question posted below. Still, it%26#39;d be great to hear any responses to my specific questions :)





Thanks!



first trip to the South!


Hi Drew,





It%26#39;s been ages since I%26#39;ve been to both towns, but being from New York they are going to be a real experience for you. THe best I can remember, Charleston is larger. And I would say a bit more upper scale. In both towns plan on doing a lot of walking, that will also give you a feel for the area. The kids should enjoy the carriage rides in both towns. The riverfront is quite festive in Savannah.





That%26#39;s about all I remember about them. I can tell you that I loved them both and am looking into purchasing a home in Beaufort. (That%26#39;s how much I like the area!)





Have fun! Jerri




Hi. I know you read my post in the the similar string. To that I would add -





In 5 days you can comfortably visit both cities. My advice would be to start in Charleston. While you are there, take time to visit a plantation. Then drive to Savannah, making a stop at the charming town of Beaufort along the way.





I would also urge you to look for accommodations as close as possible to the historic districts in both cities. Hotels in the historic area will be more expensive, but that location will increase the value of your overall experience and make sightseeing with an infant much easier.





Continental has several direct flights each day from EWR to either Charleston or Savannah. You might be able to get an affordable open-jaw ticket. If necessary, flying in and out of Charleston is doable; the direct drive to CHS from Savannah would be about 2 hours..




Lee, you%26#39;ll have a great time on your trip,





A few years ago, on my first trip to NYC in 2000, I expected the entire city to look like something off of Baretta or Kojak - you know, winos and prostitutes, trash and drugs. Boy, was I an idiot. I could not have been more wrong, and I had a fabulous time.





I feel that you probably have visions of the Dukes of Hazzard, or some other hick show, when you think of the south. I%26#39;m sure there are some parts like that still, but not Charleston or Savannah. Why, we even have microwaves and stop signs!!! ;-)





I just hope that your first, and presumably not last, venture to God%26#39;s country will be a meaningful and wonderful trip for you and your family.





BTW, I%26#39;d go 70%-30%, Charleston-Savannah.




I have already booked a similar trip as you are planning, except I%26#39;ve included several days on Amelia island outside of Jacksonville as we have relatives there.





Our plans are to fly into Charleston on Saturday March 3, rent a car and stay in the Historic District at the Andrew Pinckney Inn for 2 nights, drive to Savannah a and spend 2 nights in the Historic District at the the Doubletree and than drive to Amelia Island for 2 nights flying back to NY from Jacksonville.





In Charleston I plan on visitng at least 2 plantations (middleton Place %26amp; either Drayton Hall or Magnolia Gardens. I would plan on having either lunch or dinner at Middleton Place. I was also looking at eating at Cru Cafe . I also want to visit Fort Sumpter. Her%26#39;s the visitor center website : http://www.charlestoncvb.com/





In Savannah I plan on eating at Olde Pink House %26amp; the Cotton Exchange. here%26#39;s the visitors website for savannah:



http://www.savannah-visit.com/index.asp





Hope this helps.





I%26#39;m really looking forward to our trip! :-)





Marty




Thanks for the responses.. this is good stuff!





Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment