Monday, April 23, 2012

moving to charleston, sc or savannah, ga

Where would the best place to move be?


I want a place where I can hike, theater, restaurants, bars,


lots of things to do....


Need a friendly atmosphere...tired of the northeast?


Any thoughts,



moving to charleston, sc or savannah, ga


If you are looking for hiking, i would suggest someplace like Asheville, NC. I used to live in Savannah and went to Charleston quite a bit. Both are great citiies, but get ready for the HEAT!! Both cities have a nice ';downtown'; area with shopping, restaurants, and bars.





What type of things are you tired of regarding the NE? This may help to determine a better fit in the South.



moving to charleston, sc or savannah, ga


You can walk in Charleston and Savannah, but both are very flat, so I would not really call it hiking. Asheville would offer more of a hiking experience. I personally prefer Charleston to Asheville, but it depends on what you want .




A lot of walking and jogging in Savannah, but nothing that you could call hiking. I think you would need a National Park sort of place for that. All the land around Savannah is privately owned, even the woods. Both places are more oriented towards water sports.





Both places have local theater groups with traveling shows coming in from time to time. Tons of restaurant and bars in both places.





You really need to come visit in the summer to see if you like either of the two.




Charleston over Savannah for sure! I travel for work to savannah every other week and I must say it has grown on me but I still really love charleston.




catty8---Wow! You%26#39;ve really set yourself up for a tough choice. As far as overall art town satisfaction goes, Charleston leave Savannah in the dust. The overall area has over a million people whereas Savannah(which I love too) has barely a quarter of that. Charleston has alot of beauty and appeal with alot of outdoor possibilities. Anymore the two places are just about as expensive as each other. No slant to Savannah but Charleston is a much more sophisticated city with more real time goods and services and diversity in its businesses. Now before I get attacked for downing Savannah, which shouldn%26#39;t be the case since I have plenty of posts that sell the place just fine----I%26#39;m basing my recommend to you on your want for ';lots of things to do.'; Neither town has a very late late nightlife and are both seasonal but if you want a nice mix of beaches, hiking, biking, shopping, arts, food, festivals, etc and you have some extra income or are looking for broader work opportunities, then Charleston just has it over Savannah. But it will take consumer shopping them both and feeling them out for your decision. Alot of people find Savannah their favorite to visit and get wrapped up in the romance of the place, but for all of Savannah%26#39;s popularity, its losing population to other places and is becoming more of a tourist opportunity than a residential one. Good luck with your exploration and choices and may the best city win!




I%26#39;m from new england and the wife and I went down to Hilton Head on a borrowed time share. We went to Both cities and would love to live in or near either. The people were very friendly. We actually weren%26#39;t paying attention at a light and we sat through a green light and the car behind us didn%26#39;t even honk at us. In Mass you have about 2 seconds to move it. We met some great people. I was a little disheartened to see N. Charleston on the Most dangerous cities list. I hope that doesn%26#39;t spill over into MMT. Pleasant or Summerville (Two of the places we would consider when we decide to make the move). Also, I like the fact of having the AFB in Charleston.





I used to live in Edenton, NC. Very nice but I like a bigger city and if I%26#39;m going to move I want a VERY mild winter. Florida though seems a bit overrated. If you are from MA you eventually go to Florida if you move it seems.




I%26#39;ve lived in savannah since 92 and my fiance grew up in charleston. He is a tattoo artist in savannah now. Tattoo shops are just recently legalized in charelston. His opinion is that savannah is a little more liberal. I don%26#39;t know too much about charleston however I know alot about savannah. Good and bad. I%26#39;ll start with the good- After spending 5 yrs on the road touring most cities in the USA because of a job I have much more appreciation for sav. Savannah is truly one of the most beautiful cities I%26#39;ve ever seen. Charleston is too but sav was even too beautiful to be touched by General Shermans wrath of fire in 1865 (unlike charleston). I%26#39;ve bartended in sav since 94 and I have to disagree with the previous statement that niether city has much of a nightlife. Although there are slower times of the year sav can be quite lively. On St Patricks day our citie%26#39;s population doubles.(normal population is a@ 300,000). Tons of bars and resteraunts for a smaller town. We have lots of music ,art and film festivals. We are home to Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) which brings in students from all over the usa and world. Sav is @ 20 min. drive to Tybee island beach. Downtown sav is on the river where you will find plenty of festivals, resteraunts,bars,riverboats,boutiques etc. Most bars are downtown in walking distance to each other and saturated with taxies. There are three performing art theaters in downtown area(movie cinemas are on south side of town). There is so much history and charm in savannah and the flowers! WOW! OK , the bad- crime, crime,crime! 50% increased murder rate since 2004, public schools are concidered some of the worst in the state and nation,city lacks in activities, both shopping malls fall short, yes! summers are blazing, high number of homeless. To wrap things up I adore Savannah, Ga and have had a blast here. However, when it comes time to raise a family I will most likely relocate outside of the city and consider a private school.




I think charleston wins handsdown, I visited here for 4 vacations and couldn%26#39;t believe that I had to leave it behind. I like it so much that now I am a resident. I could put together a relocation packet of tourist info. I love people coming here and there is plenty of beach to share. Marie555

No comments:

Post a Comment