Friday, April 13, 2012

Sharks teeth

Hello, all.



My family and I have been going to Myrtle Beach for our summer vacation for the past 9 years, and I am thinking about doing something different this time around.



One very important part of our vacation ';routine'; is hunting for sharks teeth and other fossils on the beach, and anywhere else that we might consider going would be ';incomplete'; without the opportunity to find such teeth/fossils.



I have read at a few places online that Edisto Beach offers excellent chances to find them, and hope that folks familiar with this area can advise me on the availability of these here as compared to Myrtle Beach.......



Many thanks!



Sharks teeth


Edisto Beach is a much better area for finding sharks teeth than MB. Shelling is also much better at Edisto. My husband looks for sharks teeth every time we go down there and never leaves the beach without one; he has a large collection. Remember, however, they are very small and can be hard to spot. The best place to look is at the water line; the best time is at dead low tide. I never can seem to see them, but my husband finds them all the time. A good places to look is on the beach at the state park.





Be prepared for the huge difference between Edisto %26amp; MB in general though. Edisto is a small, residential, family-oriented beach. Rentals are all privately owned homes or low rise condos. There are no high-rises, no malls (though there are a few small gift shops and art galleries), only a few small privately owned restaurants and bars, and only one grocery store. There is a total of 3 gas stations. There is one resort (this is where the condos are) with 3 pools and a golf course (which was just completely rebuilt and is very nice).Charleston is only 45 miles away though; an easy one hour ride. We switched to vacationing at Edisto after 10 years of doing annual vacations at MB, and do not regret it all.



Sharks teeth


Edistotiger,



Thank you for responding!



I hope you won%26#39;t mind my asking a couple more questions of you, based on your response to my first post.



You indicate that Edisto is a better place to find teeth than MB, but that they are very small. I wonder how your husband feels they compare in terms of quantity found, and quality/size of the teeth, to those he found at MB?



In our normal 9- or 10-day stay at MB, I would guess that I average finding around 100 teeth per day. (I spend several hours every day hunting, though)



These teeth are all different sizes, of course, but I usually only want/keep the ones that are 1/2'; long, or longer. Each trip we usually find a few ';large'; teeth which are between 1 1/2';- 2 1/2'; long, too.



In addition, there are ';hot spots'; at MB which consistently yield teeth, year after year, along with places which simply don%26#39;t seem to have any teeth/fossils, at all.



Is this also true for Edisto Beach? You noted that hunting at a state park was good, but are there also places near condos, or on public beaches which are also ';hot?';



Many thanks, again!

No comments:

Post a Comment