Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Aiken-private school vs public-

can anyone tell me the top public and private schools....and how the school system really is?

have heard mixed reviews.

thanks!

Aiken-private school vs public-

I think it all depends on your expectations. The two high schools in Aiken proper send students to college throughout the US - and always have National Merit Finalists and Semi-finalists. I am sure that either high school%26#39;s guidance counselors could provide you with the $ amount of scholarships awarded each year. Aiken High School has an IB program in place and both offer a variety of AP classes. Of course - all this is dependent also upon the student and his desire to learn and the support that he gets at home.

Most who utilize private high schools travel either to Augusta where there are several choices.

Aiken-private school vs public-

The three top public high schools in Aiken County are Aiken, South Aiken, and North Augusta High Schools. My daughter graduated with honors from South Aiken High in 2000 (and with honors from college in 2004), and I have been very satisfied with the education that she received. Having been involved as a volunteer coach and referee in the City Recreational Basketball leagues for many years, I have known kids from all three schools and have been impressed with the students from all three. A friend of my daughter%26#39;s who graduated with her at South Aiken graduated with honors from Duke University and is now doing well at Duke Medical School; another friend who graduated with honors from Aiken High graduated with honors from John Hopkins and is doing medical research at Harvard.

The availability of private schools is limited. There are only two private high schools in Aiken County right now: Aiken Prep and Aiken Christian School. Both schools are very small (less than 75 total students in all 4 grades). Aiken Prep is very expensive but seems to be very good academically. Aiken Christian is less expensive. It is a very conservative Christian school; I do not know anything about its academics. South Aiken Baptist School is slowly becoming a high school; they added 9th grade this year and will add a grade a year until they go from Pre K to 12th grade. My daughter went to South Aiken Baptist when it was just an elementary school; again, I was very happy with the education she received there. St. Marys Catholic School goes thru the 8th grade; the parochial high school is in Augusta (18 miles away). There are also several small private Christian schools that only go thru the elementary grades.

I am an alumnus of private schooling (having gone to private schools in Charleston from 1st - 12th grades). While I did have some hesistation when first placing my daughter in public school, I can say that I do not regret it. I believe that if a parent is actively involved in their child%26#39;s education (as my husband and I were), that child can get a good education from any of the above-cited Aiken public schools.

  • How to make a quilt out of denim
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment