Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Real Estate on Seabrook Island

WE recently stayed on Seabrook Isl for a few days (live in Maine) - part vacation part exploring investment potential. I am suspicious about the rate of appreciation the real estate agents on the island are claiming the condos at Seabrook are expecting.....the condo we stayed in (1 br at High Hammock) sold a year ago for $205k, and we looked at other High Hammocks now asking $300k? Are they dreaming.



Other than all the fees associated with ownership, the island is just beautiful- we were sooo relaxed and the beach was beautiful.



I also hear summer time is very busy with lots of families....we have 4 kids and am wondering if they would enjoy or is it too quiet.



Any experts out there?



Real Estate on Seabrook Island


I do not know about Seabrook. The rate of appreciation you mention would not be unusual on Kiawah. And, yes, things really do sell.





Off season, Kiawah and Seabrook definitely are much more quiet. The weather stays beautiful - even for swimming and going to the beach - well into November. January and February seem to be the coldest. It doesn%26#39;t get as cold as it does in Maine, but it can be very damp and penetrating.





There are not many school-age kids who live permanently on kiawah and Seabrook, so your children may not meet other kids here in the deep winter months. Weekends Sept - November and April - June seem pretty lively, since people take the weekend trip in hope of fine weather.



Real Estate on Seabrook Island


Do you know anyone with more knowledge about Seabrook? Kiawah is a little too pricey for us, but I would love to talk to someone that knows the information from inside Seabrook.






I will try to find out. Unfortunately, I don%26#39;t live down here full time, so I don%26#39;t know as many people as I would like. If i come up with someone, I%26#39;ll let you know.





Besides .... Hopefully, some Seabrook folks will eventually reply to this post!




Maybe I can help. I sell real estate on both Seabrook and Kiawah as well as the entire Charleston area. Since I am not associated with either of the two on-island real estate companies, I can give you an unbiased opinion of the market. Seabrook on-island agents are trying to increase prices based on an ambitious $31 million aminities building program which has not yet been approved by the residents. Last spring and summer saw a rapid increase in prices, but for the most part, prices have stabilized with a few exceptions. As a matter of fact, I have a closing tomorrow on a High Hammock villa selling for $240,000. Also, on-island agents only show you what their company has listed for sale, not the entire market! I have been selling in this market for 51/2 years and my office is located between the two islands. E-mail me at redrockfarm@att.net.





Since Seabrook is geared for older, full time residents, there are not a lot of things for kids to do, even in the summer. Since Kiawah is more resort oriented, they have nature programs, kayaking and other programs for kids.




Interesting info....I too am a realtor (in Maine) and was a little suspicious about the on-island agents....and they certainly seem to be pushing the prices up- as a benefit to those who live on the island themselves also.



I will email you directly.




We%26#39;ve owned a villa at Seabrook for almost two years. And, yes, I can say our property has appreciated 50%. Not a bad return! We worked with an independant local real estate agent for several years. We, too, were very interested in Kiawah but the ';numbers'; never even came close to working. On a whim, I asked our agent to show us property on Seabrook. We feel in love!! We were able to find a property that we most of our requirements and the numbers worked better than anything we%26#39;d looked at Kiawah. BTW, we have two young children and Seabrook fits us much better than Kiawah. Of course my DH and I joke that we are the youngest property owners;-)





You can email me offline for more specifics.



ourgreatescape@mac.com




I would contact Pam Harrington for sales info. She took us for a tour of Seabrook while we were down there about a week ago, and she was very knowledgable. We also looked at property on Kiawah with the Kiawah Island Resort Company and they seemed to be pushing us to buy ';now before it is gone';.





I can%26#39;t stand agents that say ';we have lots of offers coming in and you better offer high and soon';.





Pam was very straight forward and we also talked with her daughter Melissa that ownes a rental comany on Seabrook, called Seabrook Exclusives.





Hope it helps.




Bigmissy how far away from the beach is a high hammock condo. I may be renting one that is a 2 bedroom high hammock. I have 2 kid es. They love to swim. How are is the pools. roger@balserwealth.com and the




did you rent at high hammock? we really liked it. but went without kids. I was wondering if 4 kids would be too wild for Seabrook.


  • loreal makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment