Friday, April 13, 2012

Help; coming to NMB with group, considering Baywatch

I am planning a trip for my high school softball team to play in MB from April 9-13. All of the families are coming with the girls. I was looking for a beachfront condo where most all of can stay (10-15 units), that was nice, had heated pools and where a 2 bedroom would run about $800ish for the week. We are actually playing at Pepper Gedding Rec Dept on 3300 North Oak Street (33rd ave. n) and at the old air force base near the airport. I realize that this is in MB, but we could not find anything that met my definition there. I%26#39;ve never been to MB, so I%26#39;m flying blind.





I%26#39;m working with Elliott Realty (I was desperate and they have been great so far) and they suggested a few places (Baywatch and San A Bel fit my wishlist, but also suggested looking at Avista, Ocean Bay, Laguna Keys), but it looked to me that Baywatch fit the bill. Does not look overly fancy, but was big enough where we could secure 10-13 units, the price was right, on the ocean and a big complex with lots going on.





My questions:



- There are pretty mixxed reviews on Baywatch about cleanliness, etc on this website. We don%26#39;t need the Ritz, but wanted something nice and clean and fun.



- They told me that the drive to the ballfields will be 20-25 minutes, does that sound right? NMB sounded better to me as we could get on the beach and I would worry less with the girls out on the beach at night.



- Any other thoughts here??





Thanks.





Help; coming to NMB with group, considering Baywatch


The length of time to drive is just dependent on traffic and time of day you need to be at the fields. I would say that 20-25 is the minimum amount of time to get there. If you go down Business 17, many traffic lights, you can go down bypass 17, fewer lights but still lots of traffic. I would allow 30-40 mins minimum the first trip then you can adjust. Time is all depending on where you stay. Hotel reviews are always SUBJECTIVE. What one likes another doesn%26#39;t. PLEASE remember that no place on earth is safe, do not let the girls wander the beach at night by themselves. NOT a good idea. You will be spending only small amount of time in rooms I am assuming, if you are like everyone else, you will want to be sightseeing, hanging out by pool or ocean, shopping, too much to do to stay in your rooms anyway.



Help; coming to NMB with group, considering Baywatch


Any other thoughts here folks??




Only thing I could add is you haven%26#39;t gone wrong dealing with Elliott. Have dealt with them several times through the years and have never been disappointed.



Traveled with boys soccer team for several years and stayed in a few less than perfect motels. I wouldn%26#39;t worry about Baywatch.



I would rule out Laguna Keyes because of location. About as far north on the Grand Strand as you can get. Longer drive to fields and nothing in the area for the girls to walk to at night. Then again that might be a plus.



Avista and Ocean Bay are 25-27 blocks farther north of Baywatch. Smaller buildings. Maybe a few years newer. Biggest plus is more to do within a two block walk. Couple beach shops and snack bars on Main Street. Two blocks north of Ocean Bay and two blocks south of Avista. Wouldn%26#39;t be quite as boring as area around Baywatch but at the same time not as congested as main MB.



On the Elliott web site you can pull up the rentals. Icon for Map It. Gives you ariel view of building and what%26#39;s around it. Can pan left and right to see all units along the oceanfront.




Thanks Pop, so how long do you think our drive will be to the ballpark each day?





I%26#39;d prefer to stay closer and in MB, but just did not see any good options where there would be 10 beachfront condo units available for all of my families in the $800 a week range, as we found at Baywatch. Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!




I%26#39;d agree with the others. 20-30 minutes. All the tournaments we traveled to, that was about average. Also it%26#39;s very easy to find your way around MB and NMB. Compared to finding fields in say Cinn. or Charlotte NC, the MB area is a piece of cake.



Just watch your Ave numbers as you travel north and south on RT 17. Hard to get lost. Doesn%26#39;t matter if you take business 17 or Bypass 17 through MB. The Ave numbers are the same. If the fields are between the two 17%26#39;s your best bet would be to take the by-pass and hang a left when you get near the fields.



Keep in mind that MB has same Ave numbers as NMB. There is a 33 Ave north in NMB. Maybe ten miles north of the 33 Ave north in MB where your fields will be. Be sure your families realize that and don%26#39;t waste time in NMB looking for the fields.



The best news is April is still pretty much off season. Traffic not half as bad as May through Sept..



I really envy you guys. I miss those ball trips. A tournament in MB would be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment