Friday, March 30, 2012

Is this week okay to visit MB?

I wanted to visit MB with my family may 21st-25th, but some helpful posters stated it could run in between the 2 bike weeks. I thought this was the week in the middle of the 2 bike weeks, will this be okay. I understand they start to come down on wed for the atlantic bike week, honestly am I gonna be in trouble if I go down this week? I plan on leaving fri morn to come home, Plan on staying at dunes village, any imput woul be helpful.Thanks.







RIP Darrent Williams #27. WE LOVE OUR BRONCOS!



Is this week okay to visit MB?


Bronco:



You will be staying in one of the most peaceful areas regarding the effects of the biker%26#39;s coming and going. Dunes Village is not in one of the preferred lodging areas for the bikers, who tend to gravitate to areas where large groups of accomodations are more available....



Is this week okay to visit MB?


Well, I understand everyone has an opinion and all of this is subjective. I LIVE HERE, I experience BOTH bike weeks. I would under NO circumstances come anywhere near MB on Memorial Day weekend. I don%26#39;t care where you are staying, unless you plan to NEVER leave the resort, you will be in a big mess. That particular bike week, trust me, from Wednesday May 23rd, you will find alot of traffic and on the weekend TERRIBLE TRAFFIC. You have young children, I am not sure you want them to see what they might see regarding apparel, or lack of it, that can be true of both weeks. You will obviously get several opinions. It is not a family oriented time to be at the beach. I understand the person from ';Jersey'; believes you will be immune to it, NO, only if you stay at your resort. Once you hit business 17, it is fair game. The bike activities stretch from Ocean Blvd north to Atlantic Beach. See, we enjoy the circus like atmosphere, because, we are people watchers and you can%26#39;t pay money to see this type of entertainment. But our kids are grown, I still would not want them around this. I mentioned Myrtlebeachonline.com, go to the forum section and read the biker forums. Those of us who live here, wish both bike weeks would go away, but if we can only chose one, Memorial Day bike week has ruined MB during that time. BRONCO, if you provide your email address I will be happy to talk with you. I prefer not to give mine since I am telling you not to come I assume I will create ';bad will'; amongst other people who think they know what bike week is like, WHO don%26#39;t live here.




I did forget to reply to the between 2 bike weeks. Yes Atlantic Bike week does not officially begin until Thursday, they start rolling enmass on Wednesday, some on Tuesday, so technically you will be here for the beginning of it. Now you will FOR SURE MISS THE BIGGEST DAYS leaving on Friday, but Thursday and Friday morning you will still have alot of traffic, granted on Friday it will be all incoming. You will see alot of people in on Wednesday, we noticed a big jump in traffic on Wednesday. Most of the Harley riders will be gone, a few come the last weekend of Harley week and stay on into next week, that isn%26#39;t really an issue, if there was not another bike week I would say come on, no problems. You will not be in the worst of it, but you will not avoid some of it. I am dead serious when I mention the sights and things you will see are not always family friendly. If you do decide to come I strongly suggest you head to North MB and to not even attempt to go into MB proper. The Atlantic Beach portion doesn%26#39;t start until Friday morning I believe, that is in North MB. If you are driving you will make better time on I-22 and I-31 to Grisham Parkway. Do NOT attempt to take 501 thru Conway into MB, although no one should ever take 501 into MB now that 22 and 31 are finished. Even going to South Strand you will make better time.




I%26#39;ve been in North Myrtle Beach the last 3 years during the Atlantic Beach bike week. I see no bikers on the beach in the Crescent Beach section, I see none on the golf courses I go to and they%26#39;re not around the restaurants I eat. Other than seeing them on highway 17 with the rest of the traffic, I would not know there is a bike week. It%26#39;s always been a great time to visit.




Bronco was planning on staying in MB at Dunes Village, NOT Crescent Beach. If she wants to come, fine, I JUST LIVE HERE, what do I know. I am sure you will NOT see any bikers on the golf course. Come on down Bronco and then please comment when you retur, I will be very curious to see how you liked it. I am not saying another word about it, people who live somewhere else always know more than local people.




Well....I live here too, and not too far from Dunes Village. I agree that this area, tho%26#39; not totally immune to the effects of both bike weeks...we probably hear more noise and have a bit more traffic with the Harley riders than with Atlantic Beach Fest riders....most of the local atrractions during the time of your trip are of no interest on the most part to the bikers...most are here strictly to cruise around the beach area....mostly in the MB downtown area (which I agree with MagicKat...is pretty crazy, and the later in the evening, even crazier!) To be honest...I have the attitude ';if you cant beat %26#39;em...'; so we%26#39;ll head down to Kirk%26#39;s Ice Cream (not too far from Dunes Village...and some great homemade ice cream!) Grab a large cone...and sit outside on the park benches and watch the bikes go by....the KFC across the street from Kirk%26#39;s always has alot of action...and IMO is still ';family friendly';.





As for staying in NMB...the problem being with that is if you want to do anything in MB you have to travel thru the heart of the festival which is held in Atlantic Beach....and the traffic can be a nightmare! Traffic chutes, police patrols, angry people....just not a good situation...





And...looking at your dates --- I think you will be absolutely fine! Probably the best week of May to come down. Harely week ends on the 20th (of course we DO have local folks with Harleys) and Atlantic Beach Fest begins on May 24th (and we do have local folks who happen to be younger and ride the sport bikes)....Have a great time....enjoy, and dont worry!





:)




There is an impact regardless where you stay. We have been in the Cherry Grove section the last few years during the %26#39;biker period%26#39; and you can see and certainly hear the bikes going up and down the streets. Traffic is worse, but not too bad in that area. We have 2 very young children and don%26#39;t hesitate to bring them down during that time (they actually enjoy sitting on balcony and watching the bikers cruising, and waving to them). Beaches are actually less crowded than normal because bikers don%26#39;t typically spend much time on the beach. I cannot comment on Myrtle, just the northern part of North Myrtle. Another thing, bikers are generally friendly. We don%26#39;t venture out to restaurants, shopping much, so don%26#39;t encounter that experience. We don%26#39;t live in the area but are there many times each year, and always during biker week(s). It will be more crowded, traffic worse, and very noisy, but as long as you are OK w/ that, enjoy!




I understand all of this is dependent on your view of things, and yes Bronco lover is leaving on Friday, but what about the other people reading it who might want to come that weekend. I live here I find that Wednesday thru Monday afternoon to be the most miserable time to be in Myrtle Beach. You have people wanting to come to the beach, and MB is certainly pushing tourism, sure bring your children, and they are being told nothing wrong with it, except a little traffic. I am really shocked. I would not invited my worst enemies to the beach that week. Yes, North Myrtle Beach will have less ';biker'; issues, but am I the only one who saw how ';idiotic'; these people act. Popping wheelies, riding between moving vehicles on Business 17, racing in and out of cars on Bypass 17, Am I the only one that happened to! Also, am I the only one they jumped out in front of and stopped my car on Ocean Blvd in front of Gilligans! I know my husband and I aren%26#39;t the only ones to watch them use the facilites on the side of the road, as well as flash us their private parts. To invite people here during that week, is absurd.




if you love the broncos let me put it this way about the week in question. it would be like a bronco fan going to a raiders game in la. with bronco stuff on. no pretty.




';I am not saying another word about it, people who live somewhere else always know more than local people. ';





Guess the cat couldn%26#39;t hold their tongue.......LOL







:)

No comments:

Post a Comment