Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Never stayed in the ';south'; Ocean Blvd. What's it like?

My boyfriend and i have gone to MB for the past two years. This year we are considering taking my mother and my sister along. I am really not too sure of where to stay, I%26#39;m wondering what the southern end of ocean blvd is like. When my boyfriend and I went, we stayed at Court Capri and the Patricia Grand, both in the 2000%26#39;s of North. We liked this location b/c it was cheap to get a taxi to Broadway for nightlife; however, I am curious about the southern side. What is it like?





I liked the 1400- 2000 block of north ocean blvd, but I don%26#39;t like the idea of being on the beach so close to the pier.





We enjoy shops and nightlife.





Thanks in advance for any info!!





Never stayed in the ';south'; Ocean Blvd. What's it like?


My suggestion to stay on North Ocean Blvd. There are some newer resorts on South OB, but also some older hotels. Try the Breakers or Camelot by the Sea, nice resorts on NOB, or try Dayton House, clean and well kept for an older resort. If you don%26#39;t have to be on beach, stay at Broadway at the Beach, Hampton Inn or Marriott Couryard.



Never stayed in the ';south'; Ocean Blvd. What's it like?


SOB is alot more quite than NOB. It isn%26#39;t exactly the hub of entertainment but it is much more peaceful. No high-schoolers or college kids screaming on balconies while drunk.




You should stay 21st Ave N or further north on OB. There is a section of South Ocean Blvd that is not necessarily the nicest or safest. 22nd Ave South and North to Pavillion has some issues. But again, you asked for opinions. Yes it is quieter on South End and I believe part of reason is there is some seedier elements on that end. You would need to stay further South toward 17.




I prefer south Myrtle Beach. It is away from most of the traffic and things but you are still close enough to the things. There is alot of construction going on there now. But if I was you the nI would be staying at SMB.




There are quite a few options for you, south of the Pavilion area. However, it is NOISY... all of the way to Springmaid (the end of Ocean Drive). But, the traffic and noise do thin out a little the farther south you go.





The Sea Crest is a nice hotel, especially if you liked the Patricia Grand. The Crown Reef (at the southern end) is exceptional, as is the Landmark. The Sea Mist isn%26#39;t bad, either.





Unless you stay near the Family Kingdom Amusement Park, there really isn%26#39;t much you can walk to. But, just like everywhere on the Grand Strand, you can take a taxi and get to somewhere fun (food, shopping, entertainment) in just a matter of minutes.




Here we go again, North vs South. Love this forum though. Even though I live here I do learn things. I agree not staying by a pier if you intend to be in the water, more marine life hangs by the piers, not always cute friendly kind. Last August, Cherry Grove Pier we watched them catch 10 small sharks off the pier in about 30 mins. My main objection to staying on South Ocean Blvd, is more crime takes place in certain areas around South OB. Not the entire length, but the closer you stay to the old Pavilion the ';less'; desireable the area. Plus, more of those hotels are older, some already closed, waiting for demolition. As far as construction, that is up and down the ocean front, you can%26#39;t escape it unless you go down to Garden City. North OB will have more options for night time dining/entertainment. Bummz on the Beach, N. OB., nice little restaurant/bar/ ocean front outside dining in nice weather, at night they have some music, Bummz is next door to the Breakers, Also Camelot by the Sea. Right down from Breakers/Bummz is Gilligans, bar you can sit outside and watch people go up and down North OB.




South Ocean Blvd. is more crowded to me. It is very congested during the high season.





I like the area near 21st Avenue North Ocean Boulevard. The main attractions that I go to, I am going in the opposite direction of the traffic. If you are on South Ocean Blvd. you have to drive up into and out of the traffic.




When I think of SOB I think south of the Family Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment