Friday, April 27, 2012

My Trip Report

The drive down- took the I-77 to I-20 way. All interstates, but seemed to take forever. A few hours of rain and fog in the dark slowed me down in WV. With 4 stops, it took about 131/2 hours



The hotel-The Best Western Grand Strand was nice-see review when its posted



The stay- very relaxing. Being right on the beach was great. Couldn%26#39;t keep me away from the beach. Got a little burned the first couple days, but some SPF 45 instead of 15 helped. My wife is sun-sensitive, but even she enjoyed early morning and evening time on the beach. We did the typical tourist things, souvenir shopping for the families, looked for shells and shark teeth. I thought Broadway at the Beach was awesome!!! We walked around there almost every night. We bought the Hard Rock shirts, gourmet salt water taffy(got some stuck in my teeth right now). We had an early dinner at Margaritaville(just 2 HUGE appetizers) and we loved the food! The margaritas were good too. Bought some parrothead gear too. I even bought a couple of fall bike rally shirts too.



The bikers- well they started rolling in Tuesday. By Friday they were everywhere. We didn%26#39;t have any problems with them, a few stayed at our hotel, but mostly in the building across the street. We were far enough from Ocean Blvd. that we did not hear anyhting in our room.



I found it enjoyable to just walk or drive up and down Ocean Blvd. and see all the bikes and the bikers sitting along the street to socialize and see the other bikes. It seemed like some other hotels became party central for the bikers, but not ours. We just had to be careful driving around with all the bikers on the road



The food- well we never got to any seafood place. My wife had gastric bypass surgery last year, and for her now eating is literally a few bites only. So us having a big seafood dinner was out. I considered going to a buffet myself, but even I cannot do a buffet right. I would be full way too soon. We ate at 2 less than gourmet places frequently IHOP, and Sonic. Why? Well we don%26#39;t have them up here in Pittsburgh. We had a delicious pizza from Ultimate California- which I think was recommended.



The weather- PERFECT!!!!! 80';s every day, upper 50%26#39;s/low60%26#39;s in the morning, and NOT A DROP OF RAIN!!!!



The ocean- still upper 70%26#39;s and NO JELLYFISH!!!



It was a wonderful week, and despite not really doing a lot, time really flew, and next thing you know it was time for......



The drive home- we drove the SC 38/US220/US 52/I73-74 way. Again drove in the rain for a few hours in NC. Traffic slows a bit in Greensboro, and Winston-Salem even on weekends, just like Charlotte on the trip down. I took the US 19 shortcut, and didn%26#39;t even see a cop in the Summersville area or anywhere on 19. A few red lights, but mostly open roads-60mph. This way seemed faster, about 30 minutes or so, but we only stopped 3 times plus to see the New River Gorge bridge, so all in all I don%26#39;t know which way is better





MB was a blast, just the long drive wasn%26#39;t!



My Trip Report


So glad your trip was a success! And yes the drive is always the worst part.



Glad you went thru Beckley and on to the Bridge. Beautiful isn%26#39;t it?



You should come down in two weeks for Bridge Day. They have BASE jumpers (parachuters) who come and .....well,... jump off the bridge all day! Fun and exhilarating to watch!!





Anyway, glad you had a great trip. Fall beach trips are the best!!



My Trip Report


Thanks beachlady-those numbered spaces on the shoulder of Rt 19--are those for folks lining up to jump? The leaves were slightly changed through VA and WV, but it was still beautiful. I had always heard about the bridge, didn%26#39;t realize until we were on 19 that we would actually cross it. The gorge is a sight to behold. WOW!




jmat, those numbered spaces are probably for the vendors. Lots of food and arts and crafts vendors line the north and south side of the bridge. No vendors on the actual bridge, just spectators and of course the jumpers.



Trees should be at peak for Bridge Day. Hopefully weather will cooperate as well.





Check out this site:



www.wvbridgeday.com




Glad you had a great trip. I know you had a lot of worries over the last few months. First on your block with a Bike Week shirt. That%26#39;s great.



How long before you start planning next trip? Will your wife be able to eat more next time? It%26#39;s a shame you couldn%26#39;t try some of the seafood.



Also glad you didn%26#39;t have problems on Rt 19. I remember back when you first started asking directions you were unsure about Rt 19. Did you use it on your drive down? On the interstate route, Rt 34 in SC shaves off another 15-20 minutes.



Main thing is you made it down and back without problems. I always look at the drive as an extension to the vacation. Two or four reast stops. Eight hours or eleven hours. Doesn%26#39;t matter. I%26#39;m not working. All that matters.




I drove the I77/I20 route going down. It just seemed very long. With rain and fog in WV and a close call with a state cop(he nabbed the guy who passed me) I kept the speed down. It took about 131/2 hours. Stayed on I79 in WV.



On the trip home I took the SC38-US74-US220-US52-I73/74 route. A few more turns, a bit more 2 lane roads, a few red lights, lower speed zones, but all in all it seemed faster to me. I drove through a few hours of rain in NC., and the trip was about 13 hours, counting a stop-over at the New River Gorge bridge. WOW!!!! We also co-ordinated our stops(bathroom, food and fuel in one stop, not 3 separate like the trip down) 6 stops on the way down, 3 on the way home



Now as for the plans for next trip......well, my wife and I weren%26#39;t thrilled with the long drive, and even if we would split it up in 2 days, its still 13 hours. So as much as we loved MB, we%26#39;ll have to see about a future visit. I really loved being far enough south that we could have off-season prices and summer weather.




pops, by the way, my wife%26#39;s situation is permanent. Her stomach is now a fraction of its original size, but she got the weight loss she wanted that dieting didn%26#39;t help. I think though she would let me have a seafood dinner if we go again, whether she just gets something very small, or lets me just go alone.




Thanks for the trip report. It%26#39;s always helpful to read those, and not many take the time to post. One question: why the drive instead of flying? A road trip is fun for about five hours, LOL (I%26#39;m now planning one to Asheville NC), but then am ready to be there and get started!



That said, still working up nerve to take Comair, Cinci direct to MB.




otter- the reason is simple-my wife and an won%26#39;t fly!!! She never has. and I haven%26#39;t in about 25 years. And knowing what we do now about terrorism, poorly maintained planes, etc. we do not want to fly. I realize its probably just as safe now as ever. You are correct- after 5 hours(maybe not even 5) the drive stops being fun. trust me, the 13 hours was no picnic



Glad you enjoyed my report anyway




Enjoyed your report Jmat...





We travel to MB each August.. its about a 10 hr. drive...



it would be so expensive for six to fly plus have to rent a Van...





We rather enjoy our drive..




Not a big fan of flying either. The flying isn%26#39;t the problem. It%26#39;s the large crowded airports. Vacations are for relaxation and I don%26#39;t see how hurrying through a crowded airport trying to make a connecting flight would be that enjoyable.



Few times flying was an option it didn%26#39;t add up. Cost and hassle vs a few hours saved. Not worth it.



32+ years of driving trucks. Long hours behind wheel isn%26#39;t anything new. Actually a trip with wife or family is very enjoyable. Nobody telling me where to go and what time to be there. I can travel at my own pace.



jmat....The more trips you make, the easier the drive gets. The first trip (where ever you go) always seems longer because you don%26#39;t know where you%26#39;re going. Two or three trips you%26#39;ll find yourself stopping at the same gas stations and restaurants because you know ahead of time where they%26#39;re at. Not wasting time looking and worrying about where to stop.


  • kiss lip gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment