Friday, April 27, 2012

We have1 good shot at a seafood dinner while visiting, help!

Hello,





My wife and I are traveling to Charleston for 2 day trips the first week of October. Since we really only have 1 good shot at a seafood dinner while visiting due to schedules, would you please give a recommendation? My desire is to have a great meal regardless of the environment. We%26#39;d really enjoy a moderately priced casual restaurant, and once again, the seafood is the key. Since we have transportation a restaurant in the environs of Charleston would also work. We鈥檙e looking forward to our visit since we鈥檒l be staying at Murrells Inlet and hope to find a few good breakfast and lunch spots driving between the two locations. If you have any suggestions for stops on our drive, please share them with us. I really want to try Jacks Sonic Dogs in Mt Pleasant. Is it worth the stop? So since I鈥檓 rambling, any suggestions that would help us more fully enjoy our anniversary celebration vacation are really appreciated.





Many thanks for your help.



We have1 good shot at a seafood dinner while visiting, help!


First, I will admit that I have not eaten at many restaurants in Charleston so others may be better but I will put my 2 cents worth in and vote for Sullivan%26#39;s Restaurant on Sullivan%26#39;s Island. It is moderatley priced and some of the best seafood I have tasted anywhere and I grew up on the coast of North Carolina not far from Calabash.





It is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Charleston and well worth the trip. You can see their menu at their website: www.sullivansrestaurant.com



We have1 good shot at a seafood dinner while visiting, help!


Once you get past Georgetown there is nothing, so unless you want to wait until you get to Mount Pleasant, you should eat something between Murrell%26#39;s Inlet and Georgetown. You want to get gas too if you need it.





I recommend Hank%26#39;s Seafood in downtown Charleston.




I second the recommendation for Hanks Seafood in historic Charleston. The chef there trained at La Bernadin in New York, so preparation is expert. The seafood is fresh, local and delicious. Hanks is slightly more upscale than in some local beach places you might be envisioning; but it is not expensive. The service is friendly and prompt. Hanks is a great place to conclude a day%26#39;s visit to Charleston.




hank%26#39;s it is. whatever you hear or people try to tell you DO NOT EAT AT HYMANS SEAFOOD! IT IS NOTHING BUT A BIG FAT TOURIST TRAP. there is a good restaurant in awendaw which is between mcclenenville and mt pleasant it is called sewee restaurant try it for lunch.




fb1, thanks for your input.



I don%26#39;t see why you have to put all caps on your apparent unhappiness with one of our restaurants. You can call it what you want, but that is only your opinion.



I%26#39;ve eaten at Hyman%26#39;s once, and it was fantastic.



So tell me, if a place (be it restaurant, store, or entire city) caters toward tourists, does that make it a bad place? Myrtle beach caters to tourists, but that doesn%26#39;t make it a bad place. Come to think of it, so does Folly Beach.



Your opinion is what it is. That doesn%26#39;t mean I or anyone on this board has to agree with it.



So give it a rest already.




floski glad you had a good meal at hymans. my advice was not based on a bad meal but actually knowing people who have worked there. they have all told me that most of the seafood is frozen when advertised as fresh,also they have a tendency to switch fish off if they run out ex. bass becomes flounder etc. i was not knocking tourist oriented establishments only trying to warn those that wouldn%26#39;t know any better. i have worked in the hospitality industry in charleston for 20 plus years and have nothing against tourists i would just like to see them get a real charleston experiance .




Many thanks to all for your help. If you ever need info on the Washington DC area drop me a line.





I look forward to visiting such a chaming city.




Hank%26#39;s is recommened for the seafood. And Jack%26#39;s Cosmic Dogs is worth the stop. Make sure to get some real, fresh cut french fries!




Absolutely stop at Jack%26#39;s Cosmic Dog!!! It is a happening. It will be on your left as you are on the very outskirts of Mt Pleasant from Murrils Inlet. Easy to miss, but worth turning around! All the menu item%26#39;s flavor are enhanced by one of their old-school bottled sodas.





I cannot believe noone mentioned The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene for seafood! Hands down the one place I pick over anything else in Charleston. Food served on paper plates, you sit on a porch on plastic outdoor chairs-your beer is in a can and the seafood surpasses all! Now, they may not serve fancy or complicated recipes-but when you want FRESH broiled or fried seafood...that is it. And leave your credit card at home-they accept cash only.





Hanks is good too, just a whole different atmosphere. I can honestly say I have eaten at most every restaurant in Charleston...and we basically find they fall into one of 3 categories: Good, better, outstanding. Sub-par eateries do not last for long in this town!





Happy Anniversary to the both of you-enjoy your time in Chalreston!




Charlestongirls, thanks soooooooooooooo much for the suggestion of The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene. I had rearranged our schedule to visit Charleston so that we can do 2 day trips rather than one since the drive back to Murrells inlet isn鈥檛 long and on the second day we鈥檙e headed to Savannah for the first Friday fireworks and Oktoberfest on the Riverwalk. When I read your description of The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene, my face found a big smile and my mind brought back really fond memories of a similar place in Williamsburg years ago. I looked it up at another sight a saw that it got 4 grease stains (this sent a shiver down my spine). I just flipped a coin between Sullivan%26#39;s Restaurant and Hank鈥檚 and Hank鈥檚 lost for our second dinner (your thoughts?). I鈥檝e eaten around the world and find that those Mom and Pop鈥檚 are just so darn good, especially if they serve generous portions ( I just looked at the Wreck site picture of their seafood platter and a shiver hit me again). Should I make the Sewee restaurant my second lunch stop coming from Murrells Inlet of do you have another great suggestion. A web site said it might be the best cooking in South Carolina. We may never make it back through again so any help you can give us鈥?





Thanks again Charlestongirls and everyone else who responded. Maybe one day we can return the favor or just pass it on. If you have suggestions for Savannah or our trip home on/around I95 north please share them.





It%26#39;s a beautiful Sunday and so much better now that I%26#39;ve read the post.





Hans

No comments:

Post a Comment